eBook + Online Audio
Standard Notation and Tab
School of Blues
Mel Bay Publications, Inc.
Blues Bass Level 1, within the School of the Blues Lesson Series, is an exciting method that contains the most common grooves used in blues bands today. Areas covered are: Tuning, Achieving Good Tone, Major & Minor Scales & Movable Scale Forms, 12 Bar Blues Progression, Major Blues Bass Lines, Jump Blues, Swing Blues, Box Patterns, Slow Blues, Chicago Shuffles, Two Beat, Rumba Beat, Tramp Beat, Minor Blues, Introductions, Turnarounds & Endings.
This series is designed for students of other instruments to play together. If you have friends that play harmonica, guitar, keyboard or drums, tell them about this series so that you can play together.
Book is accompanied by online audio recording of all examples (played by author Frank De Rose) along with the background music. For the beginning to intermediate bass player. Includes access to online audio.
Chapter 1 - Music and Instrument Primer
- Tuning Your Bass
- Standard Notation
- Tablature and Fret Board Diagram
- Rhythm Notation
- Key Signatures
- Playing Position
- Getting to Know Each String
- The Major Scale and Movable Forms
- The Numerical Shorthand System
- The 12 Bar Blues Progression
Chapter 2 - Major Blues Bass Lines
- Root Note Blues (Quarter Note and Shuffle)
- Major Pentatonic Scale and Major Triads
- 1-3-5-3 Pattern (Quarter Note and Shuffle)
- 1-3-5-6 Pattern (Quarter Note and Shuffle)
- Dominant 7th Scale
- Jump Blues or the Swing Style (ii-V Progression)
- Box Pattern Descending Style
- Box Pattern Ascending Style
- Slow Blues
- Chicago Shuffle
- Two Feel, the Mojo Beat
- Rumba Beat
- Tramp Beat
Chapter 3 - Minor Blues Bass Lines
- The Minor Scale and Movable Forms
- The Minor Pentatonic Scale and Triad Finfering Pattern
- Minor Song Examples
Chapter 4 - Introductions, Turnarounds, and Endings
Chapter 5 - Final Example Song
Get the extra files for your Mel Bay book by clicking the "Download Extras" button below.
The .zip file contains all of the extras you will need to help you learn from your Mel Bay book. Once it is downloaded to your computer, double-click the file to open.
You can find out more about .zip files here
If you are having trouble opening or downloading this file, please contact us